Many of you have read by now my experience with VacuCraft canisters.
I did want to share another little “thing” I do to try and keep my spices, herbs & other foods as fresh as I can whether it’s for dry pantry storage or in my refrigerator since I just finished jarring up about 7 jars.
- I determine which size of jar I’ll be needing to hold the food.
- I grab one of my “used” canning lids (I do NOT throw them away!) and a ring.
- Using my canning funnel, I put the herb, the spice, or the food, into the jar.
- I use a small “awl” and puncture a tiny hole in the lid.
- I cut a small piece of black electrical tape (about ¾ inch long) and place it over the hole.
- I then use my manual hand pump (either one of those that came with my VacuCraft or one of those that I’ve purchased with the Ziplock system).
- Place it over the taped up hole and vacuum until it’s very hard to pull your pump up. At this time, your lid should be sealed.
- Put the ring on it, and put it where you want to store it.
I use this same method when I’ve opened olive jars, pickle jars, and various other jars… just puncture a hole in the lid, tape it, vacuum it and put it back in your refrigerator!
I hate throwing out foods!