- A jack knife and a pair of pliers and you can fix, cobble, etc. most anything!
- Pots and Pans! Handy for oh so much!
- Solar landscape lighting! Bring them in for a much safer night time lighting than candles! Their batteries work in other things too! And they can recharge rechargeable batteries!
- Kitchen knives! You have a whole rack of tools there to cut, scrape and chop with!
- Garbage bags! Again so handy for anything from keeping warm and dry, to personal sanitation, to creating shelter and ropes!
- Aluminum foil! Handy for so much, ex. Cooking in, candle holders, reflect heat in and keep heat out!
- Heavy duty extension cords! They work to bring electric in if only you are the one without power and also as rope!
- Electric fence wire! That stuff practically holds my place together anyway!
- A chainsaw! No gun and you have intruders? Start the chainsaw! They won’t stay and you don’t have to be accurate!
- Your dog! Both an alarm and protection, even if it is an ankle biter!
- Duck Tape! What can’t you do with it!
- Whiskey/Alcohol! Sterilize a wound or tend to the pain!
- Car Radio! Emergency news at your fingertips!
- Deck of Cards! Yup, no electric, no lights, no sound, and those cards become mighty appealing!
- Aloe Vera Plant! Burn treatment!
- Anything in your freezer can be used as a cold pack if needed!
- Shower curtain! That is a large hunk of plastic to fix the roof, keep you dry, catch water in or line the bathtub and drain the rest of the water out of your system!
- Tarps, plastic sheeting, etc. Tack them to the walls and ceiling to create one warm/isolation room!
- Hammer! Way better than a rock for almost anything you want to pound on including an unwelcome guest!
- Grill lighter! It makes fire!
21: an old sheet can be torn up for bandages and padding required in medical emergencies
22: you can sterilise those old sheets by ironing them so the iron is number 22 – if you do it now you can keep those sterilised bandages in a ziplock bag
23: old glass bottles – spirits, wines and food containers can hold water. After a year in glass they still taste good despite being held in the garage up over 100F on many days of summer, unlike plastic containers that leak plastic taste into the water
24: magazines & any brightly coloured advertising,scissors and paste made from flour and water can provide a youngster with things to do when there is no TV or other digital products. They can make collage pictures and all sorts of sculptures out of paper.
25: make antiseptics from herbs such as thyme and rosemary by adding boiling water to fresh leaves from plants you grow in your garden or in pots
Good list Bev! Thanks for the reminder of #15. We have been meaning to buy several. Loved #9 and #10. Have them both, and can even throw in a cat or two for backup.
Harriet, LOVE your additions! I’m sure there are tons more!