I’m betting on a lot of you on SCP are bread makers. So I thought I’d share my absolutely MOST favorite bread that I make up. I use the basic recipe of the YouTuber called artisanbreadwithsteve… if you’d like to find him.
I’ve used it for several different types of breads, but I don’t have one of his fancy ceramic crockpots, so I use either my Corningware crock with it’s lid, my small cast iron skillet (if I’m camping), my mini-bread loaf pans, my regular sized loaf pans or my larger sized loaf pans.
This recipe works almost flawlessly… unless you alter the type of flour you use. I’d suggest getting used to the “basic” recipe before you step into the designer-type breads.
Either way, I’m just sure you’ll love it as much as I do. One of the main reasons I love it is that I put the dough together in about 5 minutes or less, follow his directions of covering it with plastic wrap & forgetting about it for 8-12 hours. You let your yeast do the work for you. I usually put it together after supper and then get it ready for the 2nd rise just before I start breakfast.
Cleanup is a breeze. Just a bit ago though (before lunch) I mixed up a batch of dough because I planned to make some hoagie buns for our sandwiches etc. I love being able to take the same dough, make a few minor adjustments (raisins, cinnamon, sugar or ground flax, ground sesame seeds, oatmeal, you name it!) and having scruuumptous and easy artisan breads… be they round, square, oblong or whatever shape I want them to be in, even braided!)
You Will Need:
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. instant yeast
- 12 oz. room temp. water
- In a glass bowl, mix all dry ingredients with a wisk. Add water & use the HANDLE of a wooden spoon or plastic spoon.
- Starting at the outer edge of your bowl, work your way inward until the dough begins to pull away from the bowl (It will be a somewhat “sticky” bowl)
- Cover with plastic wrap & set in a safe place and leave for 8 to 12 hours to rise (about double).
- When risen, set your oven to 450.
- Grab you favorite 8″ skillet (I like my cast iron one) and oil it GENEROUSLY.
- Gently push your dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface.
- Flour your hands and gently flatten your dough to about 2 or 3 inches and then FOLD gently the ends inward, then the sides inward.
- Place the dough in your oiled skillet & then turn it over to make sure both sides are oiled.
- Place in your pre-heated, 450 oven, and bake for 30-35 minutes (until golden brown).
- If you “tap” on the top of your bread, it should “thump” and this should mean it’s done.
- Remove it from your skillet, let cool on a rack, and when thoroughly cool, place in a bread bag.
(DO NOT KNEAD THIS DOUGH!!!!)