When you are sick, chicken soup really does help. The herbs help too (where do you think they get thymol for cough drops). This is really magical when you’re sick!
You Will Need:
- whole roaster chicken, remove and keep all bones and skin
- 3 yellow onions, quartered
- 2 rough chopped carrots (keep skin on)
- 2 rough chopped stalks of celery, diced
- large bunch fresh thyme
- lots of minced garlic
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- olive oil
- slice of fresh ginger
- about quarter-sized egg noodles, boiled, very al dente
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by skinning and boning the whole chicken.
- Toss all the skin and bones into a stock pot and brown everything.
- Cover well with water, adding rough cut veggies and herbs.
- Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and go away for a couple hours (well, watch it and add more water, if needed).
- After a few hours, strain out all the veggies and herbs and discard.
- Let stock cool and skim off excess fat.
- Saute the diced veggies and add to the stock.
- Heat thoroughly. You may want to add more garlic and thyme :)
Now, here’s the secret: Do not add the noodles until you are ready to serve.
Put them in the bowl, cover them with hot soup. Store leftover soup and noodles separately, and combine at meal time – the noodles won’t soak up all the stock and turn into ‘pudding’ that needs to be thinned out again.