A Survival Story: It happened………

A_Survival_Story_CoverWhat follows is just one part of an ongoing survival fiction series written by John Rourke and has been published on Amazon. It is being made available here for free. A new entry is published every day. The story is written in a daily journal format.


July 1st    It happened…….


I am not even sure what to say at this point. Today the United States came under attack and I do not think this country will ever be the same.

I woke up this morning around 4:00am hearing screaming and yelling and found the power was out.  To sum it up so I can get to sleep –  several nuclear bombs went off across the United States – from what I hear. I say that because communication is pretty limited. Some of the people I ran into in the hallways at the hotel told me what they heard over the radio and on TV prior to losing power. With all of what has happened within the last two weeks I guess the writing was on the wall.

I am worried about radiation. I don’t know where all the attacks happened. The only city I heard mentioned at first was Chicago. As I was leaving Athens I was glad the Reunion was not held in the center of the city. Even on the outer edges people were panicking. I saw a Wal-Mart parking lot packed full of cars and a line at the door. There were police cars in the parking lot with their lights flashing. I am not sure how they are paying for food with the power out. Hope they have cash.

I have got to try to get some sleep. It is 1:00am and….oh, a major thing I guess I have left out –  M is with me. After I found out what happened I went to her room. She flew to the Reunion from Arizona where her home is. I told her what happened and after we talked a bit I told her she needed to come with me as I traveled back home. I told her likely there would be no flying for a few weeks – just like after 9/11. In my mind I truly felt there may be no flying for months. Convinced her that she could take a flight out of Charlotte when they start back up. M didn’t want to be left alone in that hotel.

I had a set of maps and programmed my GPS to drive some back roads rather than try to drive up Interstate 85. Travel was still slow and I had to take some long routes to get where we are now. We drove 8 hours and are almost halfway home. I did get more news on the radio during the drive –

Cities hit with nukes that I know of so far:

– Boston

– Chicago

– Denver

– Washington, DC

– Baltimore

– Norfolk

– San Diego

What about Diane and the kids?

That is so far. There were also reported attacks on dams and electrical power plants across the country. A lot of news is sketchy. Hope to learn more tomorrow – I just want to get home. Eric is probably freaking out. It is very strange not being able to make a simple cell phone call.

We stopped in Greenwood and I found a small rundown hotel that was accepting cash. Also found a gas station open and was able to refill the tank. My spare tank of 5 gallons is still available if I need it. I am glad I had $500 stashed in the back under one of the rear seats. I took the floor while M has the bed. She is scared for her brother who works in New York City.  She was also very nervous as I brought my M&P9 into the hotel room.

We held hands a bit before saying good night and I tried to comfort her by saying I would keep her safe.

Things are going to get bad quickly I suspect. I have tried to mentally prepare myself for something like this. M is another story. I have my phone  – which has no signal anymore – set to wake us up in 3 hours so we can get back on the road.

 – Jed



© 2013, Seasoned Citizen Prepper. All rights reserved. On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email