What follows is just one part of an ongoing survival fiction series written by John Rourke and has been published on Amazon. It is being made available here for free. A new entry is published every day. The story is written in a daily journal format.
August 12th Communication from the East…..
Reading some information I had saved before The Event I managed to connect in to a repeater today using my HAM radio. Glad the repeater is still powered up. I actually talked to someone who lives about 90 miles east of here. Said his name was David and was a member of a survival group in Pickens County. He would not provide very many details of the group which is understandable.
We talked briefly. I was able to share the conditions in the Rock Hill area and I was able to learn that his area was similar. While talking I wrote down a few things:
- First 3 weeks after The Event things got extremely violent. Hunger, sudden lifestyle change, and lack of communication caused many law abiding citizens to commit crimes ranging from assault to murder.
- David’s group had to defend their property – approx 12 acres – from many that wanted to take what they have. They had prepared to an extremely high level for conditions just like this.
- Similar to my thinking – David’s group is linking up with others to network and develop some kind of resemblance of community. Several small groups have linked and trade off skills and supplies and work together to provide security as well.
- He also has heard of the disease from the West.
- Gangs of brigands, hoodlums, and criminals seem to be growing in size, creating a larger threat.
- David mentioned that there was someone stating that they were a representative from the local government – calling himself the “Mayor” and trying to collect taxes and supplies. He said this “Mayor” was not elected and seemed to not be working in the best interest of the people.
- We both wonder what the total death toll is since The Event.
We wished each other well and ended our conversation.
© 2014, Seasoned Citizen Prepper. All rights reserved. On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.