A few things that have been on my mind………
- My garden is doing great. I planted a little less this year than normal. Not really sure why – guess in the past couple years I had some much produce I had trouble giving it away. It is comforting to know that when needed it will produce A LOT of vegetables. In case your interested – here is the breakdown of my overall gardening system:
- Main Garden – approx 24′ x 30′ feet – all types are planted here.
- Raised Bed #1 – 4′ x 8′ feet – lettuce, tomato’s, peppers, carrots, etc.
- Raised Bed #2 – 4′ x 8′ feet – blueberry’s and blackberries
- Raised Bed #3 – L-shaped and approx 100 square feet – beans, okra, tomato’s, cucumber, peas
- Raised Bed #4 – 12′ x 4′ feet -strawberry’s only
I likely am not finished with my garden’s as I am thinking of adding more blackberry and strawberry plants.
- Ammunition is getting more expensive. If you are an avid shooter – your probably thinking I am stating the obvious. I am, however I am bringing it up as many folks are new to shooting and preparedness and want to own a firearm(s). The time to do it is now as guns are likely to not go down in price and neither will the ammunition which is required to make the firearm anything but a pretty club.
- A good basic preparedness firearm is a .22LR rifle. The Ruger 10/22 is flat out an excellent firearm. Running around $200 the Ruger is super reliable with most all .22LR ammo. Ruger BX-25 magazines allow more firepower as they hold 25 rounds and also are very reliable. For right around $300 you can have a Ruger 10/22, a couple BX-25 magazines, and several hundred rounds f ammo. A good insurance policy to have on the “homestead”.
- If the SHTF will you board up your windows and be on your own? I doubt that will work for most folks unless MAYBE you live well out in the country in an almost fortress-type house. I live in a typical subdivision and although I have a bug out plan I certainly hope to stay in place should “the big one” happen. I believe that I can help organize many of the people in the neighborhood to band together and provide a secure and productive environment…..maybe. I have considered passing flyer’s out and ask people if they would like to attend a meeting on Emergency Preparedness. I don’t know….we’ll see.
- If you are a fan of the 80’s movie Red Dawn the remake is supposed to be coming out in November of 2012. It looks to be good but the release date is iffy.
- Speaking of movies – if you have not seen the movie Atlas Shrugged I highly recommend it. If you are frustrated and critical of our government and the policies and lack of common sense – you will like it.
- I love flashlights. I have a ton of them and lots of batteries to run them for a long time. There’s nothing like piercing the darkness and illuminating that which goes bum in the night. One of my favorite is the Streamlight PolyTac. It is light, rugged, and super bright. I have two of them and will likely get a few more for various packs and vehicles.
- There are a lot of people that complain about wanting to loose weight and then demonstrate this by using the walk to the counter at Burger King as their exercise program. Come on, man! The way to lose weight and get in better shape is eating healthy and MOVING. I am no specimen of perfect health and physical prowess however I do pretty decent. The time to start going for your goal is NOW….not Monday or next month. If you have some physical problem that limits your ability to get around….think about what you CAN do.
© 2012, Seasoned Citizen Prepper. All rights reserved. On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.